ARC Full Courses:
March 19th-March 24th
Must be registered by March 14th
Class held Mondays-Fridays 4:00pm-7:00pm
Saturdays begin at 9:00am and continue until completion.
Special Note: This course is scheduled to take place during the first week of Batesville Community Schools Spring Break. If there is no school any of the days this course is scheduled to take place, class will be from 9:00am-3:00pm instead of 4:00pm-7:00pm.
May 7th-May 12th: Must be registered by May 2nd
Class held Mondays-Fridays 4:00pm-7:00pm
Saturdays begin at 9:00am and continue until completion
ARC Re-Certification Courses:
February 26th & 28th: Class from 4:00pm-7:00pm both days
April 9th & 11th: Class from 4:00pm-7:00pm both days
Full Course Details and Expectations:
- This full lifeguard course is a Blended Learning course. Blended Learning means that some of the course will be learned through online courses and some of the course will take place in the presence of an instructor.
- To get started, you must first register for the lifeguard course through the YMCA. It is best to register at the Member Service Desk. Upon registering, you will receive a participants manual. The participants manual can only be provided when you register at our Member Service Desk. It will be necessary to have this as you take the online course and complete each chapter review. The participants manual fee is included in your course fee.
- Once you are registered, you will be added to the class roster. The instructor will use this roster to connect with you and provide you with the link in order to begin your online classes.
- The online course will be made available as early as two weeks prior to the first scheduled instructor-led class. All those on the roster at that time will be sent the online course link. If participants register after the online course is available, the instructor will email you with the link as soon as possible. Participants must be registered at least one week prior to the first instructor-led class, to allow sufficient time to complete the online course.
- Once you have completed the online course, you will need to print out the completion report. This report must be given to your instructor on the first day of the instructor-led class.
- Each day you meet with the instructor, you will be spending time in the water. Be sure you come prepared each day to be in the water with a bathing suit, one-piece is preferred for the ladies, goggles, and a towel.
- On the first day, each participant will be expected to participate and complete the prerequisite swimming skills in order to continue the course. The required skills will be swim 300 yards as an endurance swim, tread water for 2 minutes without using your hands, and rescue a 10 lb. brick from the bottom of the deep end and swim it to the other end of the pool without using your arms within 1 minute and 40 seconds. This would simulate a true rescue with a victim.
- Once the required skills are completed successfully, each participant will be able to continue with the rest of the course. In order to receive a lifeguard certification card, each participant must successfully complete all required prerequisites skills, perform all rescue skills, demonstrate appropriate CPR and First Aid skills, and complete the written exams with an 80% or better.
- The American Red Cross lifeguard certification is good for 2 years upon completion. A lifeguard must recertify within one month of their expiration date, or they will be expected to pay and take part in the full lifeguard course again.
- Each participant must have 100% participation in order to complete the course. Missing a scheduled day of class will not be permitted as it can cause disruption for the rest of the participants, and it may not be possible to make up what was missed.
Re-certification Course Details and Expectations:
- In order to participate in the American Red Cross Re-certification Course, you must already be certified as a lifeguard. If your certification has expired, you must be within on month of expiration in order to participate in a re-cert course. If you have been expired longer than one month, you will need to participate in and pay for the full course again.
- A re-certification course consists of performing all the in-water rescue skills, CPR/First Aid skills and completing the required written exams with an 80% or better. It is possible for the course to be completed in one day, however, the schedule may be divided up over the course of numerous days. This will be determined by the instructor.
- Each participant must have 100% participation in order to complete. Missing a scheduled day of class will not be permitted as it can cause disruption for the rest of the participants, and it may not be possible to make up what was missed.
To speak to Kristen Fletcher, Aquatics Director and Lifeguard Instructor, please contact her at email@example.com or (812) 934-6006 ext: 256.